Why our Faculty
Five reasons for choosing the USI Faculty of Economics:
- quality training, rigorous and focused on encouraging curiosity and creativity
- professors with international reach and reputation
- one-to-one interactions with professors
- international environment
- opportunities to apply theory in the business world
Master in International Tourism graduate
"USI is a very international university. In my class alone, there were students representing 19 different countries. The USI campus is equally modern and accommodating. The courses combine applied projects, often involving local businesses. This helps students obtain real-life experience in the business world."
The USI Faculty of Economics provides high-level education to its students, through teaching approaches that benefit from the academic skills of its internationally acknowledged professors, who are engaged in leading research in their respective subject areas.
The study curricula available at the Faculty provide rigorous training in Economics and, at the same time, enable the development of critical and analytical skills and overall enthusiasm for the study of the discipline.
By acquiring and developing these skills, students can succeed in their international academic or professional careers, with competence, flexibility, and the right amount of intellectual curiosity that will enable them to ask the right questions and to address issues with creativity and flair. In this way, the Faculty contributes to train tomorrow's decision makers and researchers.
An essential element that defines our training model is the possibility provided to students to work and study in small classes and in small groups, leading to beneficial and constructive interactions between students and faculty. At our Faculty, everyone is given the opportunity to have their say and to contribute personally to their own training, within the international environment of USI and in the context of the favourable framework conditions of the Swiss university system.
Our study curricula
The Swiss university system
The Swiss university system, which includes USI, is a renowned quality system that makes Switzerland one of the most competitive countries in the world despite its size.
There are three particular strengths of this system:
- International appeal – Swiss universities attract students and faculty from many different countries; altogether, a quarter of the students and half of the researchers at Swiss universities come from abroad; at USI, 65% of students are foreign, coming from 100 different countries.
- High employment rate of graduates – on average, 1 year after graduation over 90% of graduates have joined the workforce.
- Favourable framework conditions – Switzerland is a country with a quality of life among the highest in the world, efficient public services and a stable political system, which allow for positive interactions between the public and the private sector leading to important investments in education (around 17.500 USD per student per annum, against the OCSE average of 10.200 USD), research and innovation.